About The Consumer Law Office of Steve Hofer

Steve Hofer has been practicing consumer law in Indiana for more than 20 years. He is a former Indiana State Chairperson of the National Association of Consumer Advocates, a national organization of attorneys striving for fairness in the consumer marketplace. Contact me by phone at 317-662-4529 or via email at hoferlawindyATgmail.com. You can also leave a message through my website at www.hoferlawindy.com.

Monday, October 5, 2015

On the Difficulty of finding a Consumer Attorney in a Small Town

Since going back into private practice in early 2014, after being at UAW Legal Services Plans for 16 years, I have frequently received calls regarding consumer problems from people who live in small towns in Indiana and elsewhere.  Even in Indiana, some of these consumers are four hours by car from Indiana's consumer attorneys who are almost all located in central Indiana.

To be candid and frank, it can be challenging to represent a consumer who lives far from my office. Even a five minute routine court hearing can mean a full day out of the office.  Needless to say, this makes it difficult to price one's services.   I have worked out some strategies to make it feasible to represent Indiana consumers who live well outside of Marion County.  This works best in cases that are not yet the subject of a court case.  In court cases thought it still may be practical.  In debt defense cases, for example, the defense lawyer is often not only from out of town, but may be from out of state as well.  In those cases, we can usually avoid unnecessary court appearances.

I have had a few cases where I coached a local lawyer to represent a consumer that I couldn't get to.  The bottom line is, even if you are from the far corners of Indiana, or if you are far from an interstate or state highway, please don't hesitate to call my office. I can probably still help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment