About The Consumer Law Office of Steve Hofer

Steve Hofer has been practicing consumer law in Indiana for more than 20 years. He is a former Indiana State Chairperson of the National Association of Consumer Advocates, a national organization of attorneys striving for fairness in the consumer marketplace. Contact me by phone at 317-662-4529 or via email at hoferlawindyATgmail.com. You can also leave a message through my website at www.hoferlawindy.com.

Sunday, March 27, 2016

The Return of the Fake Bill

We recently received the correspondence below at my house. My wife and I have subscribed to National Geographic as long as we've been married - over 25 years; so when received the letter below, we assumed it was a reminder notice from National Geographic Magazine.


"Notice of Continuation" in big bold letters. What else were we to believe? Well, if you look at the bottom, in smaller, thinner red print, you can see "This is an offer from an independent agent, not a bill."

On the back, they repeat that "The offer that you received is just an offer and not a bill or invoice and you are under no obligation to either buy or renew at this time or any time in the future."

The letter is from the Atlantic Publishers Group, LLC, from the beautiful Atlantic town of Niwot, Colorado.

There is nothing wrong with independent magazine publishers soliciting you to buy magazines. Publishers' Clearinghouse has been doing this for years, promising everyone that they "might have already won" millions of dollars.  As questionable as those prize solicitations might be, Publishers' Clearinghouse doesn't pretend to be the actual publisher or try to mislead subscribers that that is who they are.  They also don't insinuate that you actually owe money on an outstanding bill.

As it turns out the Republican National Committee has crossed that line and is sending out fake bills thatare even more deceptive than the magazine bill above.



According to Rachel Maddow of MSNBC.com, The Republican National Committee, under the signature of, and presumably under the authorization of Republican National Chairman, Reince Priebus, has been sending out letters "PAST DUE" and "NOTICE OF DELINQUENCY". These letters are not just going out to donors and persons who have pledged money.

I can tell you that there are millions of adult elderly people out there who have diminished vision and/or diminished capacity who will pay anything that kind of looks like a bill, and that's why these scams succeed again and again. Some elderly people don't remember what they ordered, and they figure they must have ordered something and forgotten about it. In other cases, the children of these elderly people know that mom or dad spends days at home ordering stuff and they don't want mom or dad's credit to go down the tubes.

if you receive a deceptive fake bill, even if you aren't taken in by it, I urge you to report it to the Federal Trade commission at www.ftc.gov.

25 comments:

  1. Note that the fake bill from Atlantic Publishers Group, LLC, comes in an envelope marked "OFFICIAL BUSINESS - Penalty for Private Use" and the postage stamp is made to look as close as possible to something from the government. Also the prices are twice the standard subscription rate the magazine charges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Note that the fake bill from Atlantic Publishers Group, LLC, comes in an envelope marked "OFFICIAL BUSINESS - Penalty for Private Use" and the postage stamp is made to look as close as possible to something from the government. Also the prices are twice the standard subscription rate the magazine charges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you send them a check? Did they send you any magazines? I received the same one, and then an almost identical one from Bellingham, WA. These appear to be solo operators. In the case of Atlantic Publishers Group, they chose a name confusingly similar to Atlantic Publishing Group in Florida.

      Delete
  3. I received the EXACT "bill" titled "notice of continuation" for my Economist Magazine, as a solicitation from Atlantic Publishers Group, LLC. The price was $30 more than any joe off the street could purchase from Economist directly, which got my attention and made me read further. This is so deceptive it should be, if it isn't already, illegal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been getting these fake but official looking invoices for a long time now. There is a telephone number that goes to a voicemail box that's full, so it just hangs up on you. I hate getting junk mail, and this is junk mail of the worst kind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Received this in April and paid for what I thought was a renewal to Time Magazine to which I've been subscribing for years. It looks exactly like your example. My check cleared a few days ago. I must say it looked 'real'. I have never been taken in like this. I guess I can assume I won't be receiving a Time renewal from this outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same thing happened to me. I have subscribed to Time for years. My check cleared in April. I haven't received a magazine yet.

      Delete
    2. Have you still not received any?

      Delete
  6. Unbelievable, this scam is known of by authorities but yet the company continues to be in business! Are the cops in Colorado all high too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you send them money? Did they send you any magazines? If not, did you contact Colorado authorities?

      Delete
  7. Got a bill for a magazine that was almost 4x as high as I could have received the magazine from the actual publisher. That's 4x as high. These maggots should be put out of business. I use the term business loosely because they don't know anything about being a business unless it's the business of scamming & robbing the consumer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From which company? Did they ever send you any magazines?

      Delete
  8. My elderly mother has her mail sent to me first so I can look out for scams like this. This one from APG is for People magazine, 1 year for the price of $199.95!!! My sister has subscribed to People for years and laughed out loud when she heard the price. I have no intention of subscribing to People ragazine ever at any price.

    I also notice the offer an installment plan at $99.98 per. What a load!

    I've got a poster that reads "There are a lot of internet scams. Send me $19.95 and I'll tell you how to avoid them." A good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Got one of these bills from "APG" for my Southern Living magazine. I knew I'd paid my subscription in December and sure enough, on the flip side, same verbiage regarding not really an invoice but rather an offer. Scum bags.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My elderly mother got one too. For People magazine. Paid the first installment, realized it was fraud and reported it. Just happened. I'm so pissed for her. I must scan mail from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just received one for Reader's Digest - same 'official' looking envelope that looks a little intimidating. My Notice of Continuation Offer looks just like the original one posted - but now they are called National Publishers Group. Return envelope is for Glendale, CA.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OFFICIAL BUSINESS Penalty For Private Use Thank You! Your Prompt Attention is Appreciated NOTICE OF CONTINUATION/NEW ORDER OFFER "Popular Science Magazine - 3 years", $79.95 Total Amount or $39.98 Installment Please Respond By April 15, 2017....I cancelled my subscription to Popular Science over 20 years ago. Figured APG was an intermediary seeking to revive it from an ancient list of old subscribers. I am an old, often hospitalized semi-comatose (organ failures) disabled veteran, so maybe they found me on that list also. My decrepitude, however, is exceeded only by my paranoia and general resistance' so I didn't bite. I might patch and reuse their envelope, however, just to see what they mean by "Penalty For Private Use."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just got one from National Publisher's Group-People Magazine for $189.00 for subscription NOTICE OF CONTINUATION/NEW ORDER OFFER for one year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Will writing "return to sender" discourage them from additional mailings??

    ReplyDelete
  16. Who knows? There's no reason not to try.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Got one 3 yrs Readers Digest for $75 that is EXORBITANT to say the least THANX for your post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Got one 3 yrs Readers Digest for $75 that is EXORBITANT to say the least THANX for your post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Got one 3 yrs Readers Digest for $75 that is EXORBITANT to say the least THANX for your post!!!

    ReplyDelete