About The Consumer Law Office of Steve Hofer

Steve Hofer has been practicing consumer law in Indiana for more than 20 years. He is a former Indiana State Chairperson of the National Association of Consumer Advocates, a national organization of attorneys striving for fairness in the consumer marketplace. Contact me by phone at 317-662-4529 or via email at hoferlawindyATgmail.com. You can also leave a message through my website at www.hoferlawindy.com.

Sunday, July 12, 2020

Legal Fees in Perspective $2,750 vs $2.75 million - Bill Cosby

A news story today that Bill Cosby still owes $2.75 million in legal fees. We have no idea how much he paid over time, but there is no question that Bill Cosby was not a poor man going into his criminal case, I would expect that the unpaid balance is less than half of what the representation ultimately cost.

What strikes me is the disparity in resources people can put into different legal cases. I do a lot of consumer and business debt defense cases.  My fees for a standard business case range from $2,500 to $5000, because that's all the businesses can afford. For consumer cases, my fees are sometimes lower - when I can afford to do those cases.  That's on the order of 1/1000 what Bill Cosby put into his criminal defense case -- or to put it another way, for every 1 hour I can put into a case, Bill Cosby's lawyers put in a half year's worth of work - and he still lost. 

What I have learned is to make a defense case useful and worthwhile on a budget, you have to carefully plan your strategy. You must have well-defined goals and objectives, and a pathway to get there. 

1 comment:

  1. Hello everyone, Are you into trading or just wish to give it a try, please becareful on the platform you choose to invest on and the manager you choose to manage your account because that’s where failure starts from be wise. After reading so much comment i had to give trading tips a try, I have to come to the conclusion that binary options pays massively but the masses has refused to show us the right way to earn That’s why I have to give trading tips the accolades because they have been so helpful to traders . For a free masterclass strategy kindly contact (paytondyian699@gmail.com) for a free masterclass strategy. He'll give you a free tutors on how you can earn and recover your losses in trading for free..

    ReplyDelete