About The Consumer Law Office of Steve Hofer

Steve Hofer has been practicing consumer law in Indiana for more than 20 years. He is a former Indiana State Chairperson of the National Association of Consumer Advocates, a national organization of attorneys striving for fairness in the consumer marketplace. Contact me by phone at 317-662-4529 or via email at hoferlawindyATgmail.com. You can also leave a message through my website at www.hoferlawindy.com.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Simple Dispute Letter to Send to Debt Collectors under the FDCPA

One of my new year's resolutions was to put a simple dispute letter on my blog for people to send to debt collectors to dispute debts.  I suggest you send this to the collector BY FAX and retain a fax confirmation sheet. You may have to call the debt collector first to get the right fax number.

Once the collector receives this letter, the collector may not contact you until the collector sends you validation of the debt.  What validation is is complicated. The more specific you are in your dispute, the more specific the debt collector must be in validating.

-------



To:
Debt Collector Name
Debt Collector  Fax number                                                                  VIA FAX
DATE

From:

Consumer Name:
Consumer Address:
City State Zip:
Consumer Phone Number: 
Account Number:
Original Creditor:

Basis of the Dispute:

Dear Sir or Madam

I am the above-named consumer.  I dispute this debt and demand that you obtain validation before continuing communications.

Basis of the Dispute:




Further, you do not have permission to call me on the cell phone number listed above. If I previously granted permission, that permission is revoked.  I ask that all communications be in writing.

Sincerely,

_____________




----------

No comments:

Post a Comment